Google Website Translator Gadget

Friday 25 February 2011

Wasserhahn (Roger)

As I mentioned in my previous post about Roger D's Propeller, I was lucky enough to get hold of another of his puzzles, and this is it:


This puzzle is called 'Wasserhahn', which unsurprisingly means 'water tap' in German. Just like the Propeller this puzzle is also machined from aluminium, and has a really nice quality finish to it! Wasserhahn is made up of a few more components compared with the Propeller, I'll just go through them quickly now:

The main body is made up of two solid blocks of aluminium which have been screwed together with Allan key bolts. Two 'taps' protrude from the top of the puzzle, and both of these can be screwed in and out. A bronze colour tube protrudes from the front of the puzzle which is bent at 90 degrees, and this turns freely against the main body. You can hear a rattling coming from inside the puzzle but you cannot see what is causing it.

The only things that you can visibly manipulate are the two 'taps' on the top of the puzzle and the tube at the front.

Like all of Roger D's puzzles, working out the objective is also part of the puzzle itself. The puzzle comes with no solution and no instructions.

I really like this puzzle! It probably took me around half a day of on-off playing around to solve it. And when I did eventually work out the solution there really was a very satisfying 'Ah-Ha!' moment.

Once again I would recommend that if you see this puzzle come up for sale then definitely go for it! But unfortunately as Roger's puzzles are quite hard to come by you will have to keep an eye out on some of the puzzle auction sites like Cubic Dissection and Puzzle Paradise.

Also have a look at plenty more examples of Roger's puzzles on Rob's Puzzle Page.

2 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to get this one at IPP last year but haven't solved it yet! I've played with it for a few minutes here and there, but I think it will require a more concerted effort. I'm glad to hear that you liked it! That will hopefully encourage me to find the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that it was part of your IPP haul from last year. You'll have to let me know what you think after you solve it. It did take quite a bit of sit down effort for me to solve it. If you're anything like me you'll really enjoy the solution!

    ReplyDelete

No puzzle spoilers please!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...