Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 31 January 2011

All Hail The Queen

This is another of the chess piece puzzles designed by Marcel Gillen and reproduced by Eureka, and it is the counterpart to All Hail The King. This is All Hail The Queen:


And here she is next to her 'other half':


As you can see the styling of the two is pretty much the same and both are made from cast aluminium. I won't go into as much detail as I did in my review of All Hail The King because they are so similar, but I will highlight what I feel is worth mentioning.

The mechanism within the Queen is essentially the same as the King, except where you were able to depress the 'head' of the King into it's main body you can pull the 'head' of the Queen slightly out from the main body. Also the Queen contains a small plastic jewel inside as opposed to a coin. I also would've preferred the 'jewel' to at least be made of glass, I just really don't like plastic.

Even though the mechanism is the same I preferred the way it was implemented in the King as it was easier on the hands to solve. And as I had already solved the King it only took me a couple of minutes to open the Queen.

Like I said in my review of the King, don't buy this expecting it to be a very high quality puzzle because you will be disappointed. Don't get me wrong it looks nice and works okay, it just lacks the quality of a properly machined metal puzzle. It is however definitely a collector's piece, and as such I would still consider it worth buying if you are able to find one. Finding one may be a bit of a problem though.

This puzzle was loaned to me, but it was bought from Sloyd (which is now one of my favourite companies to deal with....they are seriously good). However they are no longer selling them and I am at a loss of where to find one, but puzzle auctions may be your best bet.

If you know of anywhere that sells the Queen please let me know and I'll add it here for the benefit of others.


Also, you may like to read my slightly more in-depth review of All Hail The King here: LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment

No puzzle spoilers please!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...